EEF Board video conference on 28.02.2024

Theo Ploegmakers President & Chair
George Dimaras 1st Vice-President
Quentin Simonet 2nd Vice President 
Eleonora Ottaviani Board Member & Athletes Representative 
Nayla Stössel Board Member

Elisabeth Max-Theurer

Board Member 
Soenke Lauterbach Board Member
Simone Perillo Board Member 

Alan Andabaka

Board Member
Carina Mayer Secretary General (excused)
Hanfried Haring EEF Honorary President
Teodor Sheytanov Sport Development Manager
Alice Ward Communications Manager 
Ulf Bromster Sustainability Chair

For Decision:

1.1 Minutes of the meeting Nov and Dec 23

The minutes are approved.

1.2 Baltic-Nordic Regional Championships

TS gave an update to the venues and planning for the championships. It is noted a new MOU has been drafted for these (discussed in 1.4)

1.3 Budget Tallin EEF GA

Budget is approved.

1.4 Legal updates: Changes in EEF statues and cooperation agreement

Board to be provided with a mark up version of statues and provide full feedback.

Point raised on the phrasing of the MoU with reference to “governing body”, to be reviwed then approved.

1.5 Dressage Updates

EMT presented two rule change proposals, one based on on collective marks, in relation to horse welfare and which would follow the basic principles of training, harmony of horses and rider.

EMT to work with dressage WG and TS to finalise the feedback into the rule change documents.

1.6 Financials 01-07-23 to 31-12-23 and forecast

No questions or comments were raised.

1.7 Rules revisions

  • WG rules

The proposal of the Vet WG regarding vet checks in short format Eventing, this was opposed by the Eventing WG and withdrawn for this year.

The other proposals are agreed by the board without comment.

  • Italian NF pony jumping

The board is made aware the Italian NF will be making a request for changes to top level pony competitions in relation to horse welfare      

For Information:

2.1 Veterinary WG

The Veterinary WG has now formed with 10 members who are very active and enthusiastic. There was no clear chair from the group so the board agrees to appoint Jim Eyre (British Equestrian) as an independent chair.

2.2 Horse Athlete

SP presented the Italian work to legalise the ‘horse athlete’ position and create more protection and requirements of the horse.

The board raise comments on whether this could be escalated to EU level, and what potential ramifications could come (positive and negative).

Proposed SP should discuss with the EU Committee to evaluate the proposal.

2.3 EYLE 2025

Under the EU agreement from 2025 the programme must be opened to wider EU federations. There is interest from two larger federations but we must consider how to manage this from EEF resource and budget.

2.4 FEI Solidarity

Education of the national eventing and dressage officials is co-financed with FEI. 175 candidates have applied which far exceeded expectations but shows the clear need and interest in such a course.

Serbian NF will start a new projects in education and retraining of racehorses. There are several activities in North Macedonia, San Marino, Malta on going as well.


3.1 Request from Hong Kong Jockey Club

Brief discussion regarding the possibility of involving European NFs in the retraining of ex race horses. This will be reviewed more closely and bought back as a proposal.

3.2 Vaulting – stable sizes

The board is made aware that minimum size was voted for ‘24, but the Vaulting Committee have raised that many OCs can not supply stables of this size and the schedules are not being approved by the FEI. The FEI did not approve an emergency resolution to temporarily remove this rule.

3.4 KEP Italia

We will have a discussion with KEP tomorrow to conclude the partnership discussion. The board will be kept updated on the status.

3.5 GroupVII new competition

TP and TS attended a meeting that outlined Group VII plans to create a new event / series on a global level. There is an initial proposal that the top two teams from the LES final could be invited to the final, but via ranking could be an option for the invitation of EU teams. When a full proposal is presented it will be shared with the Board.

3.6 LES: New DEN

Stutteri Ask are confirmed as the new venue and have good facilities for the event. It is noted it may not be suitable for the Longines local market. GS provides update on the wildcards where there is pressure to accept non-European countries.


The FEI are not continuing their MoU with this organization.

3.8 In person board meeting: SUI April 28

Board agrees for afternoon meeting