EEF Board in person meeting 28.04.2024

Theo Ploegmakers President & Chair
George Dimaras 1st Vice-President
Quentin Simonet 2nd Vice President 
Eleonora Ottaviani Board Member & Athletes Representative 
Nayla Stössel Board Member

Elisabeth Max-Theurer

Board Member 
Soenke Lauterbach Board Member
Simone Perillo Board Member 

Alan Andabaka

Board Member
Carina Mayer Secretary General (excused)
Teodor Sheytanov Sport Development Manager
Alice Ward Communications Manager 
Jim Eyre Veterinary WG Chair

For Information:

1.1 Minutes meeting           

Minutes are approved                                            

1.2 Situation Appointment of Secretary General   

Teodor Sheytanov will be appointed the new Secretary General. A meeting is planned with the FEI regarding the development funding to bring in a new sport development manager.                        

1.3 Up-Date MoU’s Nordic-Baltic Championships/BC    

The MoU has been signed by Nordic-Baltic. The Balkan group is asked to meet in person with the EEF in Bulgaria to discuss the MoU and the frame of cooperation.  

1.4 New veterinary working group 

The group has formed with Jim Eyre as the independent chair. The group are feeding back and finalizing the terms of reference with a focus on the FEI rule revision as a general timetable alongside focused projects.                                                                  

For Decision:

2.1 Budget 2024-2025         

 The budget was presented to the board, with the project-based accounts explained. A final version will be shared with the Board before sending it to the members in July.                                             

2.2 Reining   

SP presented a report on reining, with their recent World Championships held in Italy. Not all riders came directly from their NF however, with many having NRHA membership instead. ITA and SUI manage reining themselves, and they would like other NFs to take greater management of the discipline, and EEF to help support the movement.

It is also raised that the EEF is a regional group of the FEI, and we should not directly support initiatives that the FEI is not engaged with, without directly engaging with the FEI on the matter first.                                                    

2.3 Sustainable Strategy & Website

The board were shown the updates to the sustainability website with the strategy development part. The board will receive the link and feedback on any elements before it goes live.                                                   

2.4 New fence LES      

It has been decided not to create the new fence for Athens together with Longines, as it ultimately does not reduce the cost of the travel.                                                                          

2.5 Change Statues Art 22 §3 last sentence

One change has been proposed to allow a new President or Vice President to be elected without the requirement of being a current board member.

TP will take back the discussed feedback and ask the lawyer to come with an updated proposals for the statues.

For Discussion:

3.1 New Global NC Competition 3-4* level Group VII  

All countries not in LLN can collect points from all NCs worldwide 3-4*, from Jan-Sept, to qualify for this Final end Oct/Nov. This uses the existing CSIOs, and they will create and finance the Final (including transport). There is no direct connection with the LES. 

3.2 Development Strategy    

Board presented a development strategy that will be taken to the FEI regarding a new long-term contract. The strategy follows 7 key areas;

  • Excellence in equine care
  • Inclusivity and accessibility
  • Environmental stewardship
  • Education & learning
  • Leadership & innovation
  • Protection and governance
  • Communication / broadcast


4.1 Dressage WG: They had an in-person meeting last week, there is no movement on the double bridle discussion at this time. They also want clarification on bidding for Children and Young Rider championships; advised this should be raised in the Sport Forum session on Tuesday.

There was feedback from the 5* seminar regarding the judging but there is concern this discussion and education is needed for all levels.

EO confirms IJRC is willing to allow a dressage rider to take over the athlete representative position, but it must be someone active and willing. IDRC and IJRC to discuss together.

4.2 Fontainebleau: QS gave an update on the welfare groups that added the show and ran many seminars. EEF had access to their live stream to follow some of this discussion.

Welfare communication needs to become more proactive and EEF are looking into new scientific studies to help in this area.

4.3 Social licence: Soenke gives an update on a social licence campaign “Do it Right” (do it ride) with large German media which is proving to work well and being very successful in collaborating across stakeholders.

4.4 LES – Gorla: It is raised that in Gorla two BEL jumped individually in the 2nd round despite the team being eliminated. This needs to be clarified in the rules, and if ranking points apply and subsequently the EEF bonus’ is given.